An Undergraduate Student Petition must be completed for various issues which may arise during a student's academic career. For example:
How Do I Submit a Petition?
- Have your UC San Diego student PID# and password ready.
- Log in via Undergraduate Petition portal.
- Complete the petition request with course information and the reason for the petition.
- Optional: attach any supporting documents such as course syllabus, homework assignments, exam questions, project reports, etc., anything that will provide further information on the courses being petitioned. Only PDF files will be accepted.
What is the Process of Submitting a Petition?
Once the petition has been submitted it will be reviewed by Student Affairs, the Department Undergraduate Affairs Committee (UAC), and the faculty teaching the course. It will take about 5-7 days for petitions to be reviewed and processed. Once reviewed, the student will be notified by the undergraduate advisors through a generated email. For paper petitions, the student will be notified of a decision via Virtual Advising Center (VAC) - an email will be sent to the student's UC San Diego email account alerting them that a VAC message is awaiting their review.
Students are expected to complete all prerequisites and meet all course restrictions prior to enrolling in any undergraduate offered through the NanoEngineering Department course at UC San Diego. Prerequisites and restrictions are enforced in all courses. Please see link for the most current prerequisite/restriction information.
- Prerequisites are courses which must be completed prior to enrollment in the subsequent course to ensure adequate preparation.
- Restrictions are enrollment limitations put upon a course. Most commonly courses are restricted to certain class levels (junior/senior only, for example) or to certain majors.
For courses NOT listed above, prerequisites/restrictions may, under exceptional circumstance, be waived with instructor consent.
How to request a prerequisite/restriction waiver
- Submit a prerequisite/restriction waiver request via the UC San Diego Course Pre-Authorization System. *Student User ID/PID and Password/PAC required*
- A submission confirmation email will be sent to the student's @ucsd.edu account.
- Once a final decision is made on the prerequisite waiver request, an email will be sent to the student's @ucsd.edu account.
- If the prerequisite/restriction waiver request is approved, it is the student's responsibility to add (or waitlist, if full) the course via WebReg. All standard add/drop deadlines apply.
- Final decision time will vary and is dependent on instructor response time.
- System availability coincides with the release of the Schedule of Classes for the given quarter and is available until 4:00 pm on Friday of the second week of classes
Visiting Non-UCSD students
Individuals with visiting student status who are taking the course(s) at UC San Diego (e.g. in Summer Session, via an exchange program, student-employee program, etc.) may have prerequisites/restrictions waived for any undergraduate course. Visiting students should utilize the UC San Diego Course Pre-Authorization System to request such waivers.
Note: Students enrolling via UCSD Extension's Concurrent Enrollment program or the Cross-Enrollment program should NOT use the UC San Diego Course Pre-Authorization System. Enrollment is processed via the respective paper form/card.